What can I really say...
In response to the over one million immigrants and supporters that marched today, outgoing dog and pony show leader Scott McClellan said "The president is not a fan of boycotts."
I'm sorry, but what a fucking douchebag. What exactly is he not a fan of? People showing solidarity, people standing up for what they believe in, or people exercising their first amendment rights? Perhaps it's people not being there to clear his table at dinner?
What a load of bullshit. Walkouts and marches and boycotts are why we have the 40 hr work week, and the Civil Rights Act, and women's suffrage. They're America, and democracy in action. They're the people, in action. They're something to be proud of, something to be a big fan of. As the bumper sticker says: Well behaved [people] rarely make history. Who would want to take away those things well-placed civil disobedience has provided for this country?
The President is not a fan of people disagreeing with him, as anyone who watched the 2004 presidential debates clearly saw. The president is not a fan of having to explain himself, or of considering the opinions of others (except Rove, Cheney, and probably Laura). The president is generally not a fan of being accountable for his decisions, and like a stubborn little child, he clings to his decisions more strongly the more he is criticized.
So, of course he doesn't like boycotts. They mean something's going wrong, somebody's not happy, and he's going to be looked to for a response. He is the "decider," and he's being forced to decide how to react. Right in the middle of an otherwise lovely Monday. How entirely thoughtless of us. Really. We know he's not a fan of boycotts. Why did we disturb him?
In the next breath, McClellan continued, "People have the right to peacefully express their views, but the president wants to see comprehensive reform pass the Congress so that he can sign it into law." How are these two clauses even connected? He wants to see comprehensive reform of boycott law passed? He wants to see the immigrants kept at work? I wasn't given the context in my source of these quotes, so I honestly don't know, but let's hope there was some overarching, understood connection between the two. Otherwise the implications are a bit scary...
I don't know if the walkouts were a good idea, or if they will accomplish what the organizers intended, but I do know that I am a fan of today's events. A big, huge fan.

1 Comments:
I'm impressed Amelia.... it's clear that you learned something at your mom's knee... I like your politics!
Post a Comment
<< Home