Angry Amelia

"Let us resolve to be patriots always, nationalists never" --William Sloane Coffin, Jr. 2003

Sunday, April 30, 2006

To all of the anti-immigrant peoples out there

When you talk about people as if they aren't human; When you delight in their failures; When you call for their immediate removal from the country, from their lives, from their families; When you consider all immigrants to be poor, needy, useless; When you assume all immigrants came here illegally, and that those who did deserve the worst our law enforcement can offer;

When you rally around the idiots with guns at the border, and hope, loudly and obnoxiously, that they'll "catch a few"; When you say "if they want to come here, they need to learn English," but then relish in their failure in the unhelpful and no longer prepared public school system; When you claim all immigrants are lazy and worthless leeches on society, but then happily take advantage of your cleaning lady and gardener's inexpensive services;

When you blame everything that is going wrong in the country on the immigrants, saying they're ruining it all for our children, you disgust me. You make me ashamed to be an American.

You can, and will, dismiss me as well, calling me a bleeding-heart liberal. Well, call me names all you want; I would much rather be insulted by being told I care too much about people, and recognizing them as people, than by being told I am a heartless, greedy, paranoid xenophobe.

Last night I was involved in a heated 'discussion' about immigration, in which I was told that I was overreacting, being overly sensitive, etc. Mainly this was because I was taking the comments the people at the table were making about "immigrants" to heart. Mainly this was because I consider them people. I consider them people, and I feel like they don't deserve to be verbally crapped upon, even when they're not there to hear it. Most of all I don't believe they (mind you we were supposedly focusing on legal immigrants) deserve to be blamed for all of the budgetary and other problems currently facing this country.

I know, I like to blame everything on Bush, but, hell, at least he's the President. At least he's supposed to be to blame for some of this stuff. The anti-immigration fervor that's currently sweeping the nation brings me back to Bush Sr.'s days in office, when, even though I wasn't old enough to vote yet, I was revolted and disgusted much as I am now. But at least then I wasn't close personal friends with a large number of immigrants, both legal and illegal. At least then it was still all theoretical.

Now I can't just say you disagree with me theoretically. Now you are attacking my friends, my work, and my core value system. Now, you deserve any vomit I happen to send your way.

If interested go here.

1 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Amelia said...

When I was working at a restaurant up in the bay, there was an INS raid, and they ran right past the Ethiopian valets, and the Asian expeditors, and even the Mexican bartender, who was light-skinned with blue eyes. They went straight into the kitchen looking for the "Mexicans" (who ended up being from a variety of Latin American countries). It was the most blatant racial profiling I've ever really seen, but I know it happens all the time...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home