Go Wang, it's yuh birt-day...
So, this woman got arrested today for the federal misdemeanor of harassing a foreign official, and I just have to say, go Wang WenLi, go on with your bad self. I realize, of course, that it's not very nice to yell at somebody for two minutes on national television. I realize that it's not polite to insult the president of a country who has travelled long and far to hang with the most powerful idiot in America. Okay, take away her signs, Okay, escort her away from the press conference... but don't arrest the woman for God's sake
The fact that they're actually arresting a woman for heckling is ridiculous for two reasons:
1) Suppose-ably, we're aloud to be obnoxious assholes with loudmouthed dissent in this place called America. In fact, I believe that is the text verbatim from the First Amendment. So wtf would be wrong with yelling things at this guy who doesn't stand for all that freedom stuff we say we believe in? I mean, I was a teenager once, and I definitely have experienced the cops selectively enforcing bullshit laws which exist only to control people the government doesn't like, but come on.
The woman wasn't shouting obscenity, she was screaming things like "Stop oppressing the Falun Gong" and "Falun Dafa is good." I mean, fuck I would feel threatened by that too if I were surrounded by secret service in one of the most heavily secured estates in the country.
2) Arresting the woman only gives her a fuck-ton more publicity than she would've gotten had she merely been ignored. By punishing her they are basically giving her a worldwide mega-phone.
I suppose to some extent they had to reprimand the woman for what she did, just to appease President Hu, who is likely used to a much harsher penalty for such brazen expression of free thought. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't hate China or anything, but I sure as hell wouldn't want Yahoo ratting me out to the CIA for this website.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home