Bush is a criminal, and he don't care.
A guy named Charlie Savage of the Boston Globe, who just appeared on Fresh Air interviewed by Terri Gross (listen here, Globe article here), explains how Bush is thumbing his nose at congress, and doing whatever he damned well pleases. While Bush hasn't ever vetoed a law, he has chosen to ignore sections of hundreds of laws passed during his presidency, arguing that they do not follow his interpretation of the constitution.
Well, wouldn't it be great if we all just followed those laws which meshed with our interpretation of the constitution, like so many constitutional denominations?
First of all, I'm sure a few service men and women have a version of the constitution that doesn't involve anyone who doesn't want to having to fight a losing war in a country that doesn't want them there, so all the armed forces who want to can go ahead and come home... Probably some of my gay and lesbian friends and family would like to go ahead and get married too, so since their version of the constitution says that's okay, they'll be doing that tomorrow; Bush'll love that. Actually, I think the prisoners across America jailed for possession probably don't believe in the laws against pot, so they'll need to be released.
I would continue, but I believe my point is made: Bush is a dick.
The full extent of implications of this are unclear at this point, but jokes aside, this is really fucking scary. Just what exactly has he done in the name of ignoring "unconstitutional" sections of laws recently passed? The Globe article suggests that a great deal of these laws had to do with the military and the patriot act and torture. I swear, Bush'll end up in front of the ICC someday. Perhaps we should hope he doesn't need to.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home