Angry Amelia

"Let us resolve to be patriots always, nationalists never" --William Sloane Coffin, Jr. 2003

Friday, May 19, 2006

Protecting ourselves from non-English

The senate wants to "preserve and enhance" the role of English. We've got to save it from its untimely death, now that it is the international language of most science and business, and that there are more non-native speakers of it than native ones (see Lee 2001). Yeah, English is gonna die out real quick-like. Thank god I teach English... I'm saving the world one classroom at a time, you know. Maybe my friends in the Ling department at Berkeley can breathe a "Breath of Life" into English before it's too late.

What are we, as Americans, so afraid of? Learning more than one language? Having to endure another culture? Isn't that what America is? A land of immigrants and cultural hodgepodge? Oh, and the Native Americans we like to pretend don't exist... I bet they've got something to say about the hundreds of languages other than English that have been threatened and actually destroyed on this soil... Should we make Ajachemen the national language? Or maybe Yurok... (wersherderber... yay for vowel harmony tee-hee!)

When did speaking more than one language become a scary thing? A dangerous thing? A threat to our nation? WTF?

Seriously, I want to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home